Resources for the Community
Addiction Stigma Checklist
An easy checklist to use for evaluating press coverage and engaging the media.
Use these questions to evaluate whether press coverage is promoting stigma against people who use drugs/people in recovery.
- Does it perpetuate harmful stereotypes?
- Does it use stigmatizing language (addict, abuse…)?
- Does it promote fear or panic?
- Does it include the voices of PWUD, people in recovery, or their families?
- Are people depicted with respect and compassion?
- Does it include the perspective of communities of
- Indigenous, black communities or communities of color?
- Does it include the perspective of public health and HR/recovery experts?