Recovery House Complaints

RICARES will handle all recovery housing complaints respectfully and professionally. 

Our complaint process is a vital part of maintaining safe recovery housing in Rhode Island. The complaint process will address violations of existing housing certification requirements.

Filing a complaint, also known as a grievance, is a way to resolve an interpersonal conflict that a resident believes may negatively affect their recovery; the complaint process also serves to resolve conflict between residents and the house manager, operator, or organization. The Complaint or Grievance Process is a tool for residents living in recovery housing to be able to advocate for themselves.

The complaint process shall not be used as a threat to keep recovery residents, managers, and operators in “compliance” with the house rules. The complaint process shall protect recovery house residents from violations of their human rights to live in safe and secure housing as certified by the State of Rhode Island.

The RICARES Grievance Process includes a wide range of tools to respond to concerns. This includes referring residents to another agency, face to face mediation, training for operators, quality improvement plans with time tables, information gathering and problem-solving proposals, and voluntary relocation of a resident to another certified house.

RICARES will independently alert the proper authorities if there appear to be imminent threat of harm. If you are in immediate danger, please call 911.

To file a Grievance, open our Grievance Form.

Complainant is the person that files the grievance. We will also use the term ‘person filing complaint’ which means the same thing as the complainant. The term Grievant may also be used.

Respondent is the person that is the subject of the grievance and/or is responsible for responding to the grievance. We will also use the term ‘person responding to complaint’ which means the same thing as respondent.

NARR is the National Alliance of Recovery Residences.

BHDDH is the Behavioral Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Hospitals.

For the full Complaint Process, click here.

For the full Complaint Process in Spanish, click here.